Tips, Techniques, Examples about my favorite musical instrument, the Twelve-String Guitar.

If you play guitar check out Playing Technique, or Strings / Setup. There are also some interesting posts about guitars at, you guessed it, Guitars.

If you want to spread your musical talents around, you will find some good info at Recording.

Marketing - meh - I'm probably the world's best bad example. Although you could find funny stuff there.

I've made some music videos through the years, and you can find them and other interesting music at Music I Like, Music I Play.

Monday, February 5, 2007

Tremolo

The way I originally fingered the tremolo in Tremblin' Whomp doesn't really sound like a tremolo for two reasons: the thumb striking one of the tremolo notes on an octave string interrupts the smoothness, and two, there should be a melody in the tremolo, but here it is all in the bass notes.



I spent a few days working out different fingerings, including one I previously mentioned, and which I've read is used by the classical guitarist Anna Vidovic, pmimi. The first day I tried this it seemed impossible. Classical guitarists often point out that these finger patterns can be drummed by your hand on a table top very quickly, and you should be able to play them just as fast. But for the life of me, I could not drum this pattern cleanly, and it was even worse on the guitar. So I went on to composing some later parts of this piece, where a real tremolo, with a melody, will be used on the first course, probably with the traditional pima fingering.

The evening of the second day, in some frustration, I tried the pmim again, and, surprise, it went considerably better. This morning it still seems worthy of pursuing, so I've re-written the beginning of the piece using the new fingering. The time signature is no longer 12/8, which is an easy way of writing a triplet rhythm, and is now 4/4.

As to the melody, I think it's fine the way it is. In a variation that comes right after this, when the tremolo is on the first course, I might have a melody. However, it sounds pretty sappy - like a jerky version of Spanish romance ballads. Melody is not my strong point.

No comments:

Post a Comment